Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Quick Comment for Medical Students

Don't consistently turn up late for small group sessions. Just. Don't. There is nothing that will have you on my radar screen (with blinking lights and sirens indicating a crash landing) more quickly. You counting ceiling tiles for the duration of the session will be less likely to catch my attention than showing up late.

Call me a hard-ass, I don't care. Quite simply: you are now in a professional program. You are training to be a physician. Research demonstrates that your performance in medical school indicates what kind of physician you will become.

You are expected to be in place A at time B. If that means being in place A 30 minutes before time B because of bus schedules (etc) then you need to plan accordingly. Because consistently being in place A 30 minutes after time B because of bus schedules (etc) is simply unacceptable.

You are now in training that will equip you to care for me and my loved ones in the years to come.

I will not hesitate to fail you now if I don't want you doing either in the future.

4 comments:

The Little Medic said...

It isn't only frustrating for the tutors, people being late is a distraction for students too!

I can't stand it. There is one girl, who, no matter what time a session is she is always 15 minutes late. Its ridiculous, there is just no need!

Anonymous said...

I agree! It's quite annoying. And honestly, I think their grade should reflect their tardiness. It's not fair to the people who show up early or on time! We earned our grades and so should they!

Okay, I'm ranted out for now. I think I need more coffee....

Midwife with a Knife said...

Completely. The problem with medical school is that it kind of adolescentizes everybody. I'm not sure how or why, but I think that maintaining professional standards might be one of the only things to do about it.

Dragonfly said...

I agree with The Little Medic. We have a lecturer who tends to lock the door 30 seconds after starting time. So now there are people who don't even come to his classes because they are always late. They wouldn't be listening anyway, and it will be interesting to see if the medical school follows through on enforcing the 80% attendance.