Friday, April 03, 2009

She Got Me

The morning of April 1st, 2009.

I am with a small group of 4th year medical students. We are discussing teratogens.

Medical student: "Last night I read a 2008 review study that conclusively demonstrated that in one of every 943 pregnancies, the maternal use of Listerine mouthwash during pregnancy resulted in an underdeveloped ovary in the female fetus."

Me: "Really?!" <-- note the question mark and the exclamation mark (I was instantly puzzled and curious).

My mind immediately started racing: what on earth could Listerine contain that would cause such specific numbers in research studies of birth defects?

The medical student let me mentally explore this line of questioning for a good 30 seconds before exclaiming "April Fools!".

She got me.

Full marks.

No comments: