Friday, August 14, 2009

Now You Know

I like watching the evening news in countries that I visit; one learns about things that go completely unreported in the international press.

So it was that I was watching the evening news on good ol' SABC3 here in South Africa when they reported that physicians in Zimbabwe are on strike, demanding an increase in their salaries.

They didn't specify what kind of physician but apparently the average salary for a Zimbabwean physician is U.S. $390 per month. I'll do the math for you: that's $4,680 per year. They are holding out for $500 per month ($6,000 annually).

Jeez.

2 comments:

medstudentitis said...

wow. That's crazy. I feel poor on my 48,000 dollar a year resident's salary - this puts things in perspective!

Dragonfly said...

But in Zimmer dollars.....so much more!! When you are issuing hundred million dollar notes.....economy FAIL is what comes to mind. I will be feeling very fortunate with my first world salary come next year (though plenty of people whine about those).