Saturday, July 28, 2007

4 Daze Later

I read a lot of blogs (some more regularly than others) and so I am aware of the Schmooze Award that has been making its rounds. I admit that I haven't paid much attention to it. Why? Because to me "schmooze" has always held a negative connotation. I'm not sure where this association comes from, but I have always thought of a "schmoozer" as a sleazy gossip telling stories for their own good.

Tonight I am following Cathy as she blogs for a good cause in the 2007 Blogathon. I was scrolling through her posts (one every 30 minutes!) when I stumbled across her post of four days ago. Dear sweet Cathy nominated me for the Schmooze Award. At first I was alarmed (see above) but then Cathy's post and my trusty dictionary confirmed that I have been living in complete ignorance of the term "schmooze".

I'll let Cathy (with help from Moof) explain:

“As it goes, schmoozing is the natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship…."

Well, gosh, if that weren't enough, Cathy goes on to say these very kind words:

I have to include Dr. K....She is one of the most real and sincere people I have met through blogging. I'm also certain she is a wonderful doctor. Dr. K. you don't have to do this meme if you are still on a blog break, but I couldn't not include you...:)

Cathy: thank you. I'm very touched that you included me. Believe me, the feelings are mutual. I very much look forward to treating you and Dave to that promised dinner in my city when you next visit.

I apparently now get to pick some of my fellow bloggers and pass along this award. This is surprisingly easy.

1. Pieces of Mind (and her kat). If you haven't been reading her blog then you need to start now. She is one of the most genuine, heart-felt bloggers that I have ever had the pleasure of following. And she is a lot like me, based on what she writes. I have no doubt that we would be fast friends if we ever met in real life. Oh, and her kat ees predy dern gud ad supurding beluvd kiddy.

You know what? You're doing great.

2. Jennifer (and Maddy). What an absolute sweetheart! Jennifer is so real that it may knock you off of your feet at times ... she defines down-to-earth and I am so pleased that I "know" her. If you want to follow the adventures of a woman who is going to be an exceptional physician then please click on the link. She also happens to be a wonderful photographer so you may also wish to visit her Flickr page.

3. Adam. He's an entertaining Canadian now living in Australia and pretending to study medicine. Unfortunately you can no longer read his pre-medical school stories because he is not very good at attempting to move his blog and so he lost years of entries in the process. However, to make up for it, he still has his collection of nerd photos for your viewing pleasure.

4. I don't know if he goes for this sort of thing, but Dr. Dino must be included. #1 was one of the first people to comment on my blog and quickly became an email friend. He is one of my favourite bloggers (one of the first links that I click on my sidebar each morning as I wake up over coffee) and he helped me solve my first Sudoku. The latter is enough to raise him to hero status in my life.

5. This last one is in memory of Sarah. Even though I know that she is gone, I can't bear to remove her blog from my links and I keep checking in on her blog, hoping against hope that she will have a new post. I miss you, Sarah.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, I knew you would find it eventually..And you deserve it! I also love the links you passed it to. Sarah, is in my mind everyday, even as I do this blogathon I have thought of her so much today. I miss her too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the props Dr. K! #5 is incredibly sad. If I didn't have my tear ducts removed when I was a child I would be crying right now. Dr. K, I really miss those medical related posts you used to write, but understand your predicament. Nonetheless I still visit your blog every day! I really enjoyed your valuable insight from a medical teacher point of view because it does help me to become a better student and thus become a better doctor. Maybe I too can grab dinner with you one day if I ever make it back to Canada to study medicine.

Anonymous said...

oops practice medicine I mean. Well I guess you don't stop studying medicine when you're done school so it sort of makes sense... argh... I really need to get back to studying.

Pieces of Mind said...

Thank you, I am honored. :)

I've always thought of myself as an introvert, so it's an unexpected pleasure to be nominated as a schmoozer. ;)

Anonymous said...

compliments from people you think are Totally Awesome just rock. thanks!

Gregory House, PA-C said...

i generally always used the word schmoozer in a negative fashion. specifically when describiing my brother, but this works too.